Saturday, February 18, 2012

More on Orbits, Part 6

All this effort should produce a list of satellites with reasonably good accuracy. There are some much more sophisticated software models out there that take into account other perturbations like atmospheric drag, the pull of the sun and moon, and so on. I have ignored these for simplicity. I used Python to code this up, because it's such a cool scripting language and has so many modules. Then I thought about plotting the satellite positions on Google Maps, and started looking into the API. There were some handy examples that I borrowed from, to generate an HTML file that I could then load. Of course, my thoughts turned to hosting it, and it turns out that Google will host Python and Java apps with its App Engine. Some more digging up of examples and documentation led to this: http://gpslookangle.appspot.com I'll put more info into the "About" link on that page.

No comments:

Post a Comment